4 cups fresh or frozen green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
4 bacon strips, diced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup apple juice
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons tarragon or cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
1. Place beans in a saucepan with water; bring to a boil. Cook covered until crisp-tender, about 8-10 minutes. Beans could also be cooked in a steamer until tender.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Reserve 1 teaspoon bacon drippings.
3. In drippings, saute onions until tender. Add apple juice, sugar, vinegar and salt.
4. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for about 2 minutes, until the liquid is thickened.
5. Drain beans and add to the thickened sauce. Stir to coat. Add bacon. Toss to combine.
6. Transfer beans to a serving bowl.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutritional information for one ¾ cup serving:
Fat: 2 grams
Sodium: 140 mg
Carbohydrates: 16 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Protein: 2 grams
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat