1/2 pound butter, softened
1/2 pound cheddar cheese, shredded (don’t use pre-shredded)
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1. Place all ingredients except the pecans in a food processor. Process until dough starts to form a ball. Dough will be stiff, much like shortbread.
2. Add pecans and pulse a few times to blend or work the pecans in by hand.
3. Form the dough into logs about 1 inch in diameter and 10 inches long. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 350º F.
5. Unwrap the chilled logs of dough and slice into ¼-inch rounds using a sharp knife.
6. Place slices about 1 inch apart on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
7. Bake for exactly 12 minutes, until firm and slightly browned at the edges.
8. Allow wafers to cool for 1 minute before removing from the sheet.
Note: The logs freeze well so you can bake up a fresh batch whenever you like.
Yield: Approximately 4 1/2 dozen