1 pound boneless beef roast cut into 1-inch pieces (or 1 pound of stew meat)
1 tablespoon oil
3 cans (14 ounces each) beef broth
2 cups water
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules or 1 beef bouillon cube
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
1 cup barley
Salt to taste
2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom pieces, drained
1. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil.
2. Add beef broth, water, onion, celery, bouillon, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer, covered for one hour.
3. Add barley to beef liquid. Simmer, covered for 45 minutes or until barley and beef are tender.
4. Add mushrooms and simmer until hot.
5. Adjust seasonings and serve.
Yield: approximately 8 servings