1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup orange juice
3 egg yolks, beaten
3/4 cup flaked coconut
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
6 tablespoons sugar
1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Gradually stir in water and orange juice until smooth.
2. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
3. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
4. Stir in the coconut, butter and orange peel. Gently stir in lemon juice.
5. Pour into baked pastry shell.
6. In a small mixing bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form.
7. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
8. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. (You might want to sprinkle some coconut over the meringue before baking. This will let your pie eaters know that the pie contains coconut).
9. Bake at 350º F for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
10. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Yield: 8 servings