1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
Directions for Flatbread
1. In a small mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil, salt, whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup all-purpose flour; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form firm dough.
2. Turn onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. (If your mixer has a dough hook, use it). Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four portions. Roll each into an 8-inch circle.
4. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat; add a portion of dough. Cook for 30-60 seconds or until bubbles form on top. Turn and cook until the second side is golden brown. Remove and keep warm. Repeat with remaining dough, adding cooking spray as needed.
5. Add filling of choice to each flatbread. Fold in half; serve.
Ingredients for Filling
1 cup diced, fully cooked ham
1 hard-cooked egg
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped pecans (toasted is best)
2/3 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
4 flatbreads or 4 pita breads, halved
Directions for Filling
1. Combine the first six ingredients.
2. Spoon onto flatbread or into pita bread pockets.
Yield: 4 serving