2 cups half-and-half (divided)
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
Dash of salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1. Heat 1 1/2 cups of the half-and-half in a large saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles begin to form around the edges. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Mix the egg yolks, sugar and salt in a large bowl until smooth. While stirring, slowly pour the half-and-half into the egg mixture.
3. Transfer the mixture to the saucepan and heat again over medium heat until bubbles begin to form around the edges (about 150º F), stirring constantly.
4. Remove from heat and return to the bowl. Stir in the heavy whipping cream.
5. Puree the banana and 1/2 cup half-and-half in a blender until smooth.
6. Add puree to bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until cold, 3-4 hours.
7. Pour mixture into counter-top electric ice cream freezer. Freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. When the ice cream is almost done, add the walnuts.
8. Transfer finished ice cream to a freezer container and freeze overnight before serving.
Yield: 6 servings