1/2 cup granulated sugar (divided)
3 cups milk, scalded
4 beaten eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Butter 6 custard cups or ramekins
2. Melt 1/4 cup of sugar in a small heavy skillet, stirring constantly, until a caramel syrup forms. Pour immediately into prepared custard cups.
3. Heat milk to 150º F.
4. Add a small amount of hot milk to the beaten eggs to temper them, stirring briskly. Add remaining milk, 1/4 cup sugar and the vanilla; blend well.
5. Pour mixture into custard cups. Set cups in a large, shallow baking pan in a 325º F oven.
6. Pour hot water into the large baking pan to a depth of about 1 inch.
7. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
8. Unmold into shallow dessert dishes to serve.
Yield: 6 servings