Pie Crust Ingredients
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon vinegar
3-5 tablespoons cold water
Fruit Filling Ingredients
1-1/2 lbs. berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries or a combination)
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2/3 cups sugar
2 tablespoons quick-cook tapioca
1 tablespoon butter
1. Roll out pie crust to 1/8-inch thickness.
2. Using cookie cutters, cut out at least eight shapes (stars, hearts, etc.) for individual pies.
3. Place on an ungreased sheet pan; brush with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
4. Bake at 375° F for about 15 minutes. Cool on a rack.
5. In a small bowl, mash 1 cup berries with lemon juice and 1/3 cup sugar; stir in the tapioca and let stand for 15 minutes.
6. In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the berry mixture and remaining 1/3 cup sugar. Cook, stirring often, until hot, about 3 minutes.
7. Add the remaining berries and bring to a boil; boil 3 minutes, stirring often; lower heat, cover and simmer, stirring often, until the tapioca is tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
8. Spoon filling into dishes. Place pie crust pieces on top.
Yield: 6 servings