Cranberry, Orange and Apricot Compote
2 navel oranges
12 oz. package cranberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons apricot preserves or jam
1. Zest 2 teaspoons from one orange into a medium saucepan. Juice oranges into a measuring cup (you need 3/4 cup of juice – you may need to supplement with other orange juice). Pour juice into the saucepan.
2. Add the cranberries, sugar and preserves. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries burst and the sauce thickens, about 15-20 minutes.
3. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Yield: Eight 3-tablespoon servings
Ruth’s Shrimp Dip
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon dill weed
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 can (4 ounces) tiny shrimp, drained
1. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy.
2. Add all other ingredients except shrimp; mix until well blended.
3. Stir in the shrimp.
4. Chill for a few hours to allow flavors to blend.
5. Serve with your favorite chips.
Yield: 2 cups