February is national cherry month, and these delicious scones are perfect for any special breakfast or snack!
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, chilled
1/2 cup dried cherries
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 large egg
5 tablespoons heavy cream, plus more for brushing on scones
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat; set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add butter and pulse 3 to 6 times until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; stir in cherries and lemon zest.
- In a small bowl, beat together egg and cream. Add to flour mixture; stir gently with a fork until mixture just comes together. If dough seems too dry, add a splash of cream; mixture should not be too sticky.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface. Shape dough into a 6-inch circle, about 1 inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 8 equal wedges. Place scones on prepared baking sheet; lightly brush tops with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Let cool slightly on baking sheet before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Scones are best eaten the day they are made.