4 bacon strips, diced
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
3 thin onion slices
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 pound ground beef
4 slices processed American cheese
4 hamburger buns
- In a skillet, cook bacon pieces until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel.
- In the drippings, saute mushrooms and onion until tender. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Add the bacon.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Add the ground beef and mix well.
- Shape into 8 (1/4-inch thick) patties.
- Divide bacon mixture among 4 patties. Top each patty with a cheese slice, folding in corners of cheese so they do not extend beyond the edges of the patties.
- Top with remaining 4 patties; seal edges.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium-hot heat for 10-12 minutes or until meat juices run clear, turning once.
- Serve on buns.
Yield: 4 servings
–Recipe adapted from Taste of Home’s Quick Cooking Annual Recipes 2001 and photos from Lois Linke