1/2 cup ketchup, divided
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pound lean ground beef
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
2 tablespoons chopped dill pickles
6 slices American cheese
1. In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup ketchup, egg, bread crumbs, onion powder, salt and pepper.
2. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
3. On a large piece of waxed paper, pat the beef mixture into a 10”x6” rectangle.
4. Spread the remaining ketchup over the meat to within 1/2 inch of the long sides and 1 1/2 inches of the short sides. Top with the mustard and pickles.
5. Place 4 cheese slices on top; set remaining cheese aside.
6. Roll up loaf, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and pulling away waxed paper while rolling. Seal seams and ends well.
7. Place loaf, seam side down, in a greased 11”x7”x2” baking pan.
8. Bake at 350º F for 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160º F.
9. Cut the reserved cheese slices in half diagonally; place on top of loaf. Return to the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
10. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Yield: 4-6 servings
Cheeseburger Meat Loaf recipe from Taste of Home’s Quick Cooking Annual Recipes Cookbook and photo by Lois Linke, Rock County Farm Bureau member.