Mini Loaves Ingredients
1 cup warm water
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 envelope)
1/4 cup + 1 teaspoon sugar
2/3 cup mashed sweet potato
1/4 cup melted butter, cooled
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 1/2 -4 cups bread flour
6 tablespoons butter, softened
4 tablespoons honey
Zest from 1/2 orange
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Pour warm water into the bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar over water. Stir to combine and proof the yeast 5 minutes.
2. Stir in remaining sugar, mashed sweet potato, egg and melted butter.
3. With mixer on low, slowly incorporate the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour in 1/2 cup increments, switching to 1/4 cup increments as the dough starts to form.
4. Once the dough has pulled away from the sides of the bowl and is tacky but will not stick to your hands when pressed, turn the mixer on knead speed and knead for 6 minutes.
5. Remove dough from the bowl, grease the bowl, turn the dough around in the bowl to lightly grease it. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour in a draft-free warm place in your kitchen.
6. Remove the plastic wrap, punch down the dough and divide it into 8 equal pieces. Roll into logs and place in greased mini loaf pans. Lightly cover loaves with plastic wrap or a clean towel and let rise another hour.
7. Preheat oven to 350º F. Bake loaves for 20 minutes or until tops are lightly golden.
8. Remove from pans.
9. Brush loaves with butter (optional). To make the butter, combine all ingredients until smooth.
Yield: 8 mini loaves
Sweet Potato Mini Loaves with Orange Cinnamon Honey Butter recipe from laurenslatest.com and photo by Lois Linke.