3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, diced
5 jalapeno peppers, diced and seeded*
3 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
1 1/4 pound boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes*
1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chilies*
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 (14 oz.) can white or navy beans, drained
1 (14 oz.) can corn, drained or equivalent amount of frozen corn
8 oz. cream cheese
1 pound bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled, divided
Shredded cheddar cheese (optional garnish)
*You can adjust hotness by varying amounts of these ingredients.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat and sauté onion, peppers and garlic until tender.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then add to the saucepan, adding another tablespoon of oil if necessary. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano and red pepper flakes. Toss chicken and seasonings together and lightly brown chicken on all sides.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, chicken broth, beans and corn. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in cream cheese until completely melted. Add half of the crumbled bacon. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Add more chicken broth if too thick.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese and remaining crumbled bacon as garnish.
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe from sweettreatsmore.com and photo by Lois Linke.