Coffee Cake Ingredients
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup dairy sour cream
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup raspberry jam
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1. In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in the butter using a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Remove 1 cup crumbs for topping.
2. To the remaining crumb mixture, add baking powder, soda, salt, sour cream, egg and almond extract; blend well. (This will be a very stiff batter.)
3. Spread batter over the bottom and 1 1/2-2 inches up the side of a greased and floured 9-inch or 10-inch springform pan (batter should be 1/4-inch thick on sides).
4. In a small bowl, prepare filling by combining cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar and egg; blend well. Pour this over the batter in the pan.
5. Carefully spoon jam evenly over the cheese filling.
6. In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of the reserved flour mixture and almonds; sprinkle over the top.
7. Bake at 350º F for 55-60 minutes or until cream cheese filling is set and crust is a deep golden brown.
8. Cool 15 minutes. Remove sides of pan. Serve warm or cool. Refrigerate leftovers.
Yield: 12-16 servings
Recipe from Lois Linke’s children’s late fifth grade teacher and photo by Linke.