Homemade Baking Mix
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons sugar
1/2 cup white shortening
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until well-blended.
2. Store in an air-tight container.
Note: This mix can be used in place of any recipe calling for the commercial baking mix.
2 cups BAKING MIX
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
1/2 lb. deli-style corned beef
1/4 cup honey mustard
3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
14 oz. sauerkraut, well drained
1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing
1. Preheat oven to 400º F. Spray an 8-inch square glass baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, stir BAKING MIX, milk, egg and 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds with a fork until blended. Spread 1 cup of the batter in the baking dish.
3. Brush each of the corned beef slices with the mustard. Layer on top of the batter in the baking dish.
4. Top the meat evenly with shredded cheese and sauerkraut.
5. Carefully spread the remaining batter over the sauerkraut. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds.
6. Bake 30-35 minutes or until lightly golden brown and the center is set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
7. Serve with Thousand Island dressing.
Yield: 6 servings
Homemade Baking Mix recipe source unknown. Baked Reuben Sandwich recipe from beef.betterrecipes.com. Photo by Lois Linke.