Homemade Baking Mix
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons sugar
1/2 cup white shortening
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until well-blended.
2. Store in an air-tight container.
Note: This mix can be used in place of any recipe calling for the commercial baking mix.
1/2 lb. Italian sausage links, cut into 1/4-inch slices or 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 cup spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup julienned green pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 cup BAKING MIX
1/2 cup 2 percent milk
1. In a large skillet, cook sausage or ground beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; season to taste; drain.
2. Pour spaghetti sauce into a greased 8-inch square baking dish. Layer with mushrooms, green pepper, meat and 1cup cheese.
3. In a small bowl, combine the BAKING MIX, egg and milk until blended. Pour over top. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
4. Bake uncovered, at 400º F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield: 4 servings
Homemade Baking Mix recipe source unknown. Upside Down Pizza Bake recipes from Taste of Home app. Photo by Lois Linke.