Homemade Oatmeal Baking Mix
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups white vegetable shortening
3 cups quick cook oatmeal
1. In your food processor bowl, place the flour, baking powder, salt and sugars. Pulse a few times to mix.
2. Add dollops of the vegetable shortening. Process until combined.
3. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the oatmeal.
4. Place in a large air-tight container and store in a cool, dry place.
5. Use within 10-12 weeks.
Note: Use this mix to make muffins, bars, cookies, pancakes and desserts. Recipes available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
3 cups OATMEAL BAKING MIX
2/3 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 400º F.
2. Generously grease a 12-muffin tin, or place paper liners in the muffin tin.
3. Place OATMEAL BAKING MIX in a medium bowl.
4. Measure milk. Add egg to the milk and mix.
5. Pour the liquid into the OATMEAL BAKING MIX. Stir just until moistened; the batter should be lumpy. Allow to set for 5 minutes.
6. Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full.
7. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield: 11-12 muffins
Homemake Oatmeal Baking Mix and Oatmeal Muffins recipes from Make-a-Mix Cookery. Photo by Lois Linke.