Homemade Oatmeal Baking Mix
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups white vegetable shortening
3 cups quick cook oatmeal
1. In your food processor bowl, place the flour, baking powder, salt and sugars. Pulse a few times to mix.
2. Add dollops of the vegetable shortening. Process until combined.
3. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the oatmeal.
4. Place in a large air-tight container and store in a cool, dry place.
5. Use within 10-12 weeks.
Note: Use this mix to make muffins, bars, cookies, pancakes and desserts. Recipes available by contacting email@example.com.
2 1/2 cups OATMEAL BAKING MIX
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 1/2 cups chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 cup flaked coconut
1. Prepare apricot filling first. In a small saucepan, combine the apricots, brown sugar, water and lemon juice. Cook over low heat about 10 minutes, stirring frequently until thickened.
2. Remove from heat. Add coconut. Cool.
3. For the bars, preheat the oven to 375º F.
4. Lightly grease an 8-inch square pan.
5. Combine OATMEAL BAKING MIX and sugar in a medium bowl. Add melted butter or margarine.
6. Press half of the oatmeal mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the apricot filling over the oatmeal layer. Crumble the remaining oatmeal mixture over the top.
7. Bake about 30 minutes, until golden brown.
8. Cool thoroughly before cutting into 2-inch square bars.
Yield: 16 bars
Homemake Oatmeal Baking Mix and Apricot Fruit Bars recipes from Make-a-Mix Cookery. Photo by Lois Linke.