6 ounces wagon wheel pasta (any pasta will do, but kids love novelty pasta)
1 heaping cup very small broccoli florets
1/2 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
1 small garlic glove, minced
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt and ground black pepper
2 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
4 ounces thick-sliced ham, cut into small cubes
1 scant cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
2 scallions, sliced (optional)
1. Bring a medium pot of water to boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions.
2. About 30 seconds before pasta is done, add the broccoli florets and corn kernels. Cook for 30 seconds and then drain to a colander. Run cold water over the pasta to stop the cooking. Keep pasta in the colander while making the dressing.
3. Whisk together the garlic, red wine vinegar, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
4. Add the well-drained pasta, broccoli and corn to the bowl, along with the other salad ingredients. Toss together.
5. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Yield: 4 (1 1/2 cup) servings