1 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 can enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded pork (or chicken, or beef)
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, optional
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
chopped cilantro, flat leafed parsley, or chives for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 9″x9″ pan or a 10″ cast iron skillet.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together melted butter, eggs and buttermilk. Pout the milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined. Your batter will be lumpy.
4. Pour the batter into your baking dish/skillet.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove pan/skillet from the oven and reduce hear to 350 degrees. Using a fork, poke holes all over the top of the cornbread (it won’t be quite set in the center.) Pour the enchilada sauce over the cornbread.
6. Combine shredded meat with taco seasoning and optional chipotle peppers and spread this mixture over the top of the cornbread.
7. Top with shredded cheese.
9. Cover the dish or skillet with foil and place in the over for an additional 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted. If your cheese isn’t quite melted, removed the foil and bake for another 5 mintues.
9. Top with cilantro, parsley or chives and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
Yield: 6 Servings