2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
6 cups water
1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained or 1 qt. home canned tomatoes
¾ cup dry lentils, rinsed
¾ cup pearl barley
1 meaty leftover ham bone or 2 ham hocks
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules or 2 cubes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
½ teaspoon pepper
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese, optional
1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the celery, onion, and garlic in butter until tender.
2. Add water, tomatoes, lentils, barley, ham, bouillon, herbs, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Lentils and barley should be tender.
3. Add carrots; simmer for 15-30 minutes, until carrots are tender.
4. Remove ham bone/ham hocks from soup; remove meat from the bones and return it to the soup.
5. May be served with a sprinkling of cheese in each bowl.
Yield: 8-10 servings