6 cups fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces (use canned green beans if you must)
4 ½ teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
½ cup finely minced onion
8-ounces white mushrooms, finely chopped
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 cup low-fat milk
2 cups (8 oz.) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
½ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 425º. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan cook the fresh beans until crisp tender (about 4 minutes) or cook by steaming if possible. Drain off all liquid.
- Heat 4 teaspoons oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until just starting to brown, 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms have released their juices and the liquid has evaporated.
- Sprinkle flour over the mushroom mixture and stir to coat. Add broth and milk and bring to a simmer stirring oftn until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 ½ cups shredded cheese. Add the green beans and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish. Top with the remaining ½ cup shredded cheese.
- In a small bowl, stir together the bread crumbs and the remaining ½ teaspoon oil. Add paprika and onion powder and stir until the breadcrumbs are evenly moist and bright orange. Sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake the casserole for 20-25 minutes until bubbling and golden brown on top. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Yield: 10 servings
Recipe source: healthyseasonal recipes.com