5 teaspoons olive oil
5 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
1/3 cup water
¼ cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon white vinegar
4 garlic cloves, minced
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder (optional)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
Sliced green onions or chives (optional)
Hot cooked rice or noodles
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 8-10 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, whisk wter, brown sugar, orange juice, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes, and five-spice powder. Pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until chicken is tender, turning chicken occasionally.
- In another small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Temporarily remove chicken from skillet. Pour cornstarch water into the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until sauce is thickened. Return chicken to the skillet; turn thighs to coat with sauce.
- Sprinkle with green onions or chive.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
Yield: 5 servings