1 cup oat bran
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons fat-free milk
¼ cup raisins
¼ cup chopped walnuts
½ teaspoon cinnamon
• Preheat oven to 400º.
• In a large bowl, combine the oat bran, flour, ¼ cup sugar, baking powder, and salt.
• In another bowl, beat the eggs, applesauce, oil, and milk.
• Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Fold in raisins.
• Fill muffin cups coated with nonstick cooking spray three-fourths full.
• Combine the walnuts, cinnamon, and remaining sugar; sprinkle over batter.
• Bake for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Yield: 1 dozen muffins