2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup cubed butter, cold
1 large egg
¼ cup sour cream
¼ cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ tablespoon butter, melted
¾ cup powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon orange juice
½ teaspoon orange zest (optional, but it really adds good flavor)
1. Preheat oven to 400º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking oil spray.
2. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and orange zest. Cut in cold butter with a pastry cutter until the butter is about the size of peas and the dough resembles coarse crumbs.
3. In a small bowl, combine egg, sour cream, heavy cream, and vanilla extract.
4. Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
5. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface; gently knead the dough until it holds together. Pat into a 1-inch thick circle. Cut into 8 triangles.
6. Brush the tops of each scone with a little bit of heavy cream or milk.
7. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until scones are golden brown.
8. While the scones are cooling, mix up the glaze.
9. Spread the glaze over the sligntly warm scones. Serve.
Yield: 8 scones