2 cups bread flour
1 pkg. instant yeast
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 cup water
¼ cup molasses
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ cup quick-cook oatmeal
1 cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup walnuts, chopped
Note: Directions are for using a mixer with a dough hook, but this bread can be easily be made by hand.
- In a large mixer bowl, combine 1 ¼ cups bread flour, yeast, and salt; blend well.
- Heat 1 cup water, molasses, vegetable oil, and oatmeal until warm (120-130º).
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture. Using the mixing paddle, blend at a low speed until moistened, then beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Add whole wheat flour and nuts. Mix to combine.
- Change to the dough hook. Add enough remaining bread flour to make a firm dough. Knead for 3 minutes.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board. Work the dough into a ball with a smooth surface. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and turn to oil the top. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double (30 minutes-1hour).
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Shape into a round loaf. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled (approximately 1 hour).
- Combine egg and 1 tablespoon of water; brush the top of the loaf. Optional—you may sprinkle with oatmeal.
- Bake in a preheated 375º oven for 30-40 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet and place on a cooling rack.
Yield: 1 loaf
Recipe source: Red Star Yeast