8 oz. day-old French bread cut into cubes
1 ¼ cups milk
1 cup half and half (you can substitute whole milk)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
dash of salt
¼ cup softened butter
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Place bread cubes in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, beat eggs, milk, half and half, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Pour over the bread and allow to sit 5-10 minutes. Press the bread into the liquid so it has a chance to soak up the custard.
- In a small bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and pecans. The mixture will have the consistency of wet sand.
- Pour half of the bread mixture into a greased 8”x8” or 7”x11” baking dish.
- Crumble half of the pecan mixture on top.
- Spoon the remaining bread mixture over the top.
- Finish by topping with the remaining pecan mixture.
- Place the baking dish on a cookie sheet to catch spills that may boil over.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes.
- The center will be slightly jiggly but will set as the pudding cools.
- Allow the pudding to cool for 20-30 minutes before serving.
Yield: 8 servings