4 cups rhubarb, cut fine
1¾ cup sugar, divided
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
½ cup milk
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Put the cut-up rhubarb in a 9” square cake pan.
- In a small mixing bowl, cream ¾ cup sugar and butter. Add milk and mix.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into the bowl. Beat until smooth. Pour mixture over the rhubarb.
- In another small bowl, combine the remaining 1 cup sugar and cornstarch. Sprinkle over the mixture and then pour 1 cup boiling water over the top.
- Place cake pan on a baking sheet in case the cobbler boils over. Bake for 1 hour.
Yield: 9 servings