1 package yeast
¼ cup warm water
1 cup mashed, cooked carrots
1 cup warm carrot liquid
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup soft shortening
1 beaten egg
5 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water.
- Stir in the mashed carrots, carrot liquid, sugar, salt, shortening, and egg.
- With a hand mixer, beat in 2 cups of flour until smooth. Stir in the remaining flour to form a ball of sticky dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until smooth. Form dough into a ball and place it into a greased bowl, greasing the dough by turning it over in the bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double.
- Divide dough into 24 pieces. Shape rolls as desired and place on a greased baking sheet or in baking pans. Let rise until double.
- Bake at 400º for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush with butter.
Yield: 2 dozen rolls
Recipe source: The 4-H Friends Cookbook