2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
½ cup sour cream
½ cup buttermilk
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, room temp.
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and baking soda in medium bowl.
3. In a small bowl, whisk sour cream, buttermilk, and lemon juice.
4. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, butter, lemon zest in a large bowl to blend. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until mixture is light and fluffy.
5. Beat in dry ingredients in 3 additions alternately with sour cream mixture (2 additions). Mix just until blended.
6. Stir in poppy seeds.
7. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
8. Bake until tester inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on rack.
9. Mix together melted butter, lemon juice, and enough powdered sugar to make a glaze. Drizzle over tops of warm muffins.
Yield: 48 mini muffins, 18 regular muffins, 12 large muffins.
Ingredients White Sauce
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cups whole milk Soup Base
2 cups thinly sliced yellow sweet onions
3 tablespoons butter
14-15 oz. can chicken broth
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 oz. processed cheese (the kind that melts easily)
Shredded cheese for garnish
1. Prepare white sauce in a saucepan or microwave. Set aside.
2. In a 2-quart saucepan, place 3 tablespoons and the sliced onions. Cook on low to medium heat, stirring frequently until soft and clear but not brown.
3. Add chicken broth, bouillon cubes, salt, and pepper. Stir until completely heated through.
4. Add white sauce and processed cheese. Simmer on medium low heat until cheese is melted and all ingredients are blended, stirring constantly.
5. Turn the temperature to warm and let cook for an additional 30-45 minutes.
6. Serve with a garnish of shredded cheddar cheese.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup cubed butter, cold
1 large egg
¼ cup sour cream
¼ cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ tablespoon butter, melted
¾ cup powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon orange juice
½ teaspoon orange zest (optional, but it really adds good flavor)
1. Preheat oven to 400º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking oil spray.
2. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and orange zest. Cut in cold butter with a pastry cutter until the butter is about the size of peas and the dough resembles coarse crumbs.
3. In a small bowl, combine egg, sour cream, heavy cream, and vanilla extract.
4. Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
5. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface; gently knead the dough until it holds together. Pat into a 1-inch thick circle. Cut into 8 triangles.
6. Brush the tops of each scone with a little bit of heavy cream or milk.
7. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until scones are golden brown.
8. While the scones are cooling, mix up the glaze.
9. Spread the glaze over the sligntly warm scones. Serve.
Candied Bacon Ingredients
8 slices center cut thick bacon
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
3/4 cups butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
2. Place bacon in a single layer on a foil-lined sheet.
3. Sprinkle brown sugar on top of bacon strips. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until crispy, making sure to turn bacon over after 15 minutes.
4. Remove bacon from the oven and place on a wire rack for cooling. Once bacon has cooled chop it finely.
5. Reduce oven temperature to 325º F.
6. Sift flour and baking soda.
7. In a medium bowl, cream butter with the white and brown sugar.
8. Add vanilla, egg and egg yolk. Beat until light and creamy.
9. Add flour mixture and mix well.
10. Add diced candied bacon and chocolate chips. Stir until just combined.
11. Place golf ball sized balls of dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
12. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until edges are brown. Remove from oven and let cookies sit on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool.