Note: Directions are for using a mixer with a dough hook, but this bread can be easily be made by hand.
In a large mixer bowl, combine 1 ¼ cups bread flour, yeast, and salt; blend well.
Heat 1 cup water, molasses, vegetable oil, and oatmeal until warm (120-130º).
Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture. Using the mixing paddle, blend at a low speed until moistened, then beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Add whole wheat flour and nuts. Mix to combine.
Change to the dough hook. Add enough remaining bread flour to make a firm dough. Knead for 3 minutes.
Turn onto a lightly floured board. Work the dough into a ball with a smooth surface. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and turn to oil the top. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double (30 minutes-1hour).
Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Shape into a round loaf. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled (approximately 1 hour).
Combine egg and 1 tablespoon of water; brush the top of the loaf. Optional—you may sprinkle with oatmeal.
Bake in a preheated 375º oven for 30-40 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet and place on a cooling rack.
¾ cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon cinnamon, optional
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
4 cups (2 pints) raspberries WHIRLIGIGS
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons shortening
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons half-and-half
¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 400º.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, optional cinnamon, salt, and water until smooth. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
3. Place berries in an ungreased shallow 1 ½-quart baking dish. Pour hot sauce over top. Bake for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, for whirligigs, combine the dry ingredients in a bowl; cut in shortening until crumbly.
5. Combine egg and cream; stir into dry ingredients to form a stiff dough.
6. On a lightly floured board, gently work the dough into a ball. Roll into a 12 in. x 6 in. rectangle.
7. Combine the sugar, butter, and lemon zest; spread over the dough. Roll up the dough, jelly roll style, starting at a long side.
8. Cut the roll into 10 pieces; pat each piece slightly to flatten. Place over the hot berry mixture.
9. Bake for 15 minutes or until whirligigs are golden brown.