2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup cubed butter, cold
1 large egg
¼ cup sour cream
¼ cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ tablespoon butter, melted
¾ cup powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon orange juice
½ teaspoon orange zest (optional, but it really adds good flavor)
1. Preheat oven to 400º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking oil spray.
2. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and orange zest. Cut in cold butter with a pastry cutter until the butter is about the size of peas and the dough resembles coarse crumbs.
3. In a small bowl, combine egg, sour cream, heavy cream, and vanilla extract.
4. Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
5. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface; gently knead the dough until it holds together. Pat into a 1-inch thick circle. Cut into 8 triangles.
6. Brush the tops of each scone with a little bit of heavy cream or milk.
7. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until scones are golden brown.
8. While the scones are cooling, mix up the glaze.
9. Spread the glaze over the sligntly warm scones. Serve.
¾ cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon cinnamon, optional
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
4 cups (2 pints) raspberries WHIRLIGIGS
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons shortening
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons half-and-half
¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 400º.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, optional cinnamon, salt, and water until smooth. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
3. Place berries in an ungreased shallow 1 ½-quart baking dish. Pour hot sauce over top. Bake for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, for whirligigs, combine the dry ingredients in a bowl; cut in shortening until crumbly.
5. Combine egg and cream; stir into dry ingredients to form a stiff dough.
6. On a lightly floured board, gently work the dough into a ball. Roll into a 12 in. x 6 in. rectangle.
7. Combine the sugar, butter, and lemon zest; spread over the dough. Roll up the dough, jelly roll style, starting at a long side.
8. Cut the roll into 10 pieces; pat each piece slightly to flatten. Place over the hot berry mixture.
9. Bake for 15 minutes or until whirligigs are golden brown.
1. Beat eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer for 1 minute; add cheeses and beat to combine.
2. Unfold phyllo and cover with a slightly damp towel as you work to prevent the pastry from drying out.
3. Place 1 phyllo sheet on a flat surface covered with wax paper; cut into 3 strips (12”x6” each).
4. Brush lengthwise half of each strip with butter; fold strips in half lengthwise, and brush with butter.
5. Place 1 teaspoon of the cheese mixture onto the base of each strip; fold right bottom corner over to form a triangle. Continue folding back and forth into a triangle, gently pressing corners together.
6. Place triangles, seam sides down, on ungreased baking sheets and brush with butter.
7. Repeat procedure with the remaining phyllo sheets, cheese mixture, and butter.
8. Bake at 375º for 15 minutes or until golden.