In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water.
Stir in the mashed carrots, carrot liquid, sugar, salt, shortening, and egg.
With a hand mixer, beat in 2 cups of flour until smooth. Stir in the remaining flour to form a ball of sticky dough.
On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until smooth. Form dough into a ball and place it into a greased bowl, greasing the dough by turning it over in the bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double.
Divide dough into 24 pieces. Shape rolls as desired and place on a greased baking sheet or in baking pans. Let rise until double.
Bake at 400º for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush with butter.
1 (15.25 oz.-18 oz.) yellow cake mix
2 pkg. (4 ½ tsp.) active dry yeast
2 ½ cups warm water (110º)
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil
5-6 cups flour
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1. In a medium bowl, combine cake mix and yeast.
2. In the bowl of your mixer, combine the warm water and salt.
3. Add the cake mixture to the water.
4. Add oil and flour; mix all together. Knead either by hand or use the dough hook of the mixer. Form dough into a soft ball.
5. Return the dough to the bowl. Cover with a moist towel and let it rise for 1 hour or until double.
6. Grease two 9”x13” pans.
7. Knead the dough lightly again. Divide it into 24-30 pieces. Form each piece into a smooth ball and place half of the balls into each pan.
8. Cover the pan of rolls with a towel and let them rise until double, approximately 45 minutes-1 hour.
9. Bake at 375º for 15-20 minutes. Brush with melted butter when they come out of the oven.
10. NOTE: This dough can be made into 2 loaves. Bake loaves 30-35 minutes.