Note: Directions are for using a mixer with a dough hook, but this bread can be easily be made by hand.
In a large mixer bowl, combine 1 ¼ cups bread flour, yeast, and salt; blend well.
Heat 1 cup water, molasses, vegetable oil, and oatmeal until warm (120-130º).
Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture. Using the mixing paddle, blend at a low speed until moistened, then beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Add whole wheat flour and nuts. Mix to combine.
Change to the dough hook. Add enough remaining bread flour to make a firm dough. Knead for 3 minutes.
Turn onto a lightly floured board. Work the dough into a ball with a smooth surface. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and turn to oil the top. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double (30 minutes-1hour).
Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Shape into a round loaf. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled (approximately 1 hour).
Combine egg and 1 tablespoon of water; brush the top of the loaf. Optional—you may sprinkle with oatmeal.
Bake in a preheated 375º oven for 30-40 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet and place on a cooling rack.
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water.
Stir in the mashed carrots, carrot liquid, sugar, salt, shortening, and egg.
With a hand mixer, beat in 2 cups of flour until smooth. Stir in the remaining flour to form a ball of sticky dough.
On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until smooth. Form dough into a ball and place it into a greased bowl, greasing the dough by turning it over in the bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double.
Divide dough into 24 pieces. Shape rolls as desired and place on a greased baking sheet or in baking pans. Let rise until double.
Bake at 400º for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush with butter.
1 (15.25 oz.-18 oz.) yellow cake mix
2 pkg. (4 ½ tsp.) active dry yeast
2 ½ cups warm water (110º)
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil
5-6 cups flour
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1. In a medium bowl, combine cake mix and yeast.
2. In the bowl of your mixer, combine the warm water and salt.
3. Add the cake mixture to the water.
4. Add oil and flour; mix all together. Knead either by hand or use the dough hook of the mixer. Form dough into a soft ball.
5. Return the dough to the bowl. Cover with a moist towel and let it rise for 1 hour or until double.
6. Grease two 9”x13” pans.
7. Knead the dough lightly again. Divide it into 24-30 pieces. Form each piece into a smooth ball and place half of the balls into each pan.
8. Cover the pan of rolls with a towel and let them rise until double, approximately 45 minutes-1 hour.
9. Bake at 375º for 15-20 minutes. Brush with melted butter when they come out of the oven.
10. NOTE: This dough can be made into 2 loaves. Bake loaves 30-35 minutes.
2. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes.
4. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
5. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
6. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Glaze top with butter.